Wednesday, 14 September 2016

First Impressions

I gently wiped the Nutella from Lexi's face.
"Remember, you don't get a second chance to give a good first impression."
I looked down at the blank expression on my four year old daughters face. Why had I told her that? It meant nothing to a four year old. I'd clearly been on too many customer care courses, the mantras of how to be liked coming back far too easily.  Four year olds need honesty and to be told that it's all going to be okay.
"Be nice to people, and kind to other children who are playing on their own, let them join in. It's going to be fun at school, this is the start of a big adventure."
Okay that bit was a lie. 
To me school had not been an adventure, more of an endurance. And the first impressions thing? At my first day of senior school I had gone to school with my naturally very curly hair slightly longer than it should have been and was called 'poodle' for the next six years. 
First impressions matter.
With the Nutella was wiped from her face and her hair brushed, it was time to leave for school. How do kids get so covered in Nutella?  I'd eaten just as must as she had, yet I'd stayed clean.
We slowly walked across the grass, the dewdrops on the tips of the blades of grass making out shoes wet, we held hands and Lexi seemed calm and unfazed. I wrongly assumed that the step from nursery to reception year, and being amongst a lot of far older children may have worried her, but it didn't seem to.
We walked past other parents with children in uniforms all slightly too big for them.
As it was her first day of school I went into her classroom and met her teacher for the first time, and also some of the other parents, all who seemed nice, but more worried about leaving their children than their children were about being left.
Lexi quickly left my side to play with another little girl as the buzzer sounded to start school.
Coming in through the front door I caught sight of myself in the hallway mirror, and that when I saw it. 
I had Nutella all around MY mouth.
So much for first impressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment